Wednesday, December 05, 2007

 

An amazing thing to find


Last night, I was digging through the attic looking for Christmas decorations. The attic is an easy place to get distracted, and I was waylaid for a while looking through old boxes of books. Then, something amazing happened.

Underneath a stack of old car magazines was something small and metal. I reached in, and there it was-- something precious I had long thought had been lost.

It is a medallion with the crest of the FHC. The FHC is the oldest college fraternity in the United States, having been founded at William and Mary by George Wythe and Thomas Jefferson before even Phi Beta Kappa (which, according to legend, was started by a student not admitted to the FHC). Though it is often referred to as a "secret society," it doesn't neatly fit the definition of either a modern secret society or fraternity. The unusual thing about it is that both faculty and students are members-- four profs, and six students. Wythe was a teacher; Jefferson was a student. (Wythe's other students included Henry Clay and John Marshall). When I was a student, it wasn't very secret, either.

FHC had a fairly profound effect on me. The experience of seeing faculty as more complete people, as peers, convinced me that learning did go both ways, and let me see them as mentors in a much more full and complete way. It was that lesson that in part shaped me as the professor I am now, in that I do seek to let students see different sides of me, including a sometimes light-hearted side. For example, in the "trash-talk" before the debate, you could perhaps see the friendship that underlaid it. The lessons of FHC, in large part, are what led me to start this blog as a way to make contact with students in a medium that was mostly theirs.

The badge I found is supposed to be worn, discretely, under the robes at academic events. I have always wished that I had it the times I was chosen by the students to participate in commencements. It may be there at some future commencement, now. No one else may be able to see it, but what it will mean to me is that perhaps I have been to a student some faint shadow of what Wythe was to Jefferson and what every teacher, from kindergarten on up, hopes to be.

Comments:
That's really cool.

I was not in a fraternity, mostly because there were no such fraternities at my college - the frats at my college were concerned principally with how much Natural Light they could consume between Thursday afternoon and Sunday night.
 
A haiku for those of you who have ever experienced DC in the snow:

Snow on the bridges,
It may be just half an inch.
3 hours to work.
 
Tradelawguy speaks the truth.

As does the Prof.

Being kind of an academic waste, I was not invited to join FHC, which was a disappointment. It sounded like one of the best things that could happen to you at our Alma Mater. Both he and my immediate successor as Station Manager at WCWM-FM, radio free Williamsburg, were members, and I am proud of the fact that I had something to do with their success at the radio station. The Prof was also Station Manager his Senior Year. And Quiz Kid for three years.
 
It's true.
I was Quiz Kid.
 
And to think people in Texas ridicule the traditions at A&M, while all the while we have the Quiz Kid and his super double secret "professors are cooler than sorority chicks" frat living amongst us.

So can I join? I seem to remember hanging out with Osler on occasion at BU Law. Wait...maybe it's so secret I'm already a member and don't know it! But then again, I couldn't find a medal in my attic when I looked.....So can I join?
 
dallas ada--

Uh, the truth is that IPLawguy and I were in that fraternity with the keg-dancing guy on top of the beat-up station wagon. So I really wasn't cooler than anyone. And I certainly wasn't regarded as being nearly as cool as the guy with the keg on top of the moving car.

You know I still wonder about that-- was there no question of tort liability when in the middle of a homecoming parade you have a guy dancing unsteadily with a huge can on his head on top of a moving vehicle?
 
I guess if the keg dancing guy, aka your Big Brother in our fraternity, had fallen, he could have sued the driver... which was not me at the time. But I think back in 1981 most courts in Virginia would have said he assumed the risk.

Sadly I have NO photographs of any Harry Buffalo Parties or Cold Duck nights or Pearl Harbor Day Smokers. I do have some good shots of various tequila nights -- I believe it was your pledge class that dressed up like babies. Talk about Tort Liability!
 
And if you put those photos on the internet, I WILL sue.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#