Tuesday, December 04, 2007

 

A Map of Disparity

Students in my classes are familiar with my discontent with the racial disparities in criminal law-- particularly, that blacks are punished more harshly for the same crimes than are people of other races. Though blacks and whites both use and sell drugs at roughly the same rate, far more blacks are incarcerated. Doug Berman tipped me off to a fascinating new study by the Justice Policy Institute that reflects how this may work in your home county. Just click here to get a sense of what is going on in Texas. For example, in Williamson County, blacks are incarcerated at seven times the rate that whites are for narcotics offenses.

Comments:
http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/red/red_player.html?id=809&link=REDshlkredptsphead
 
Any blogs from the new students...now 2Qs??
 
OK Uhmm I guess there was no way to have known this and I know that a lot of times money can have an effect on the verdict I think Chris Rock said it best... If OJ Simpson were not OJ Simpson, he would be OJ the Bus Driving Murderer....

I did not know that the sentences were more harsh for blacks... Only judges really do sentencing , right? So you could fix this problem from your position.

I DO NOT understand why this happens. Especially in 2007.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#