Monday, December 17, 2007

 

Yet another Superhero appears on NPR this week...


I never really stopped believing in superheroes. I just learned to notice them when they were nearby in their disguise as a parent or teacher or lawyer or doctor. Most of my superheroes these days don't do much physical battle-- rather, they use ideas. It's intriguing, too, if you think about it. Comic book superheroes usually don't change the world; instead they save the world, which is another way of saying it stays the same. My thinking-superheroes really do change the world. And they seem to appear on NPR a lot. Last week it was Doug Berman. This week it is Bob Darden, my friend, writing mentor, and Sunday School teacher.

Bob has been involved in a great project-- saving the remaining recordings of black gospel music. He's raised the money and started the process now. His book, People Get Ready, is a wonderful history of that music (I even bought it for my parents).

Tomorrow, Tuesday the 18th, Bob will be on NPR's "Fresh Air" for about an hour starting at 3 pm central time, talking about his project with Terri Gross and playing some of the songs he loves. If you can, tune in. Since it's radio, he won't even need a disguise.

UPDATE: The segment on Bob has been moved to Thursday of this week!

Comments:
Ever since that Saturday Night Live skit with the two women parodying NPR, I can never take Terri Gross and Fresh Air seriously. I think every guest is really just Alec Baldwin as Pete Schweaty.
 
IPlawguy, you obviously watch a lot more comedy tv than actually listen to Fresh Air, because it is usually really good.
 
I really don't watch much TV at all, other than sports, but for some reason I've seen that skit more than once.

I do listen to National People's Radio during my commutes on occasion, but only in my car. And only on weekends by accident.
 
NPR rocks.
 
No, Little Steven's Underground Garage Rocks.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#