Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

My Team is #1! Or #3! But never, ever, #2! Please help...


Congratulations again to Christie Smith, Layne Rouse, Rachel Sonstein, Kaye Johnson, Tom Jacob, and Ed Cloutman for finishing third out at the National Ethics Smackdown in Sacramento. Once again, our students showed people across the country what we can do, even with rookies (albeit, incredibly talented rookies).

I was thinking about the record of my teams over the past five years:

2003 NACDL: Champions
2004 NACDL: 3rd
2006 ATLA: 3rd in region
2006 SMU Rookie Tourney: Champions
2007 NETC: 3rd
2007 NACDL: Did not break
2008 NETC: 3rd

Making the semifinals 6 out of 7 times (out of fields ranging from 12-20 teams) isn't so bad. Most recently, any success should probably be credited to Gordon Davenport, who has been working with the teams more than I have (and traveled with this group to Sacramento). Judge Manske, of course, also has been instrumental to our good outcomes.

But what is my problem with getting through to the finals? 4 out of 7 teams losing in the semifinals? I have been doing some real soul-searching on what I might be doing wrong on this point, and have decided that the problem might be my teams' lack of a name. After all, all the great teams have a name attached to their city or school. So, let's have a contest to name future Osler mock trial teams. Feel free to offer suggestions below. Here are a few I have considered:

-- The Fighting Jaworskis
-- The Walter and Sheila Umphries
-- [for an all-female team, which I have never had]: The Sheilas
-- The Hey-hey-heys

Any other ideas?

Comments:
The Wizards of Osler
 
I generally don't believe in awards, so I would give them a name like a team at a very non-competition-oriented school . . . like the Fighting Banana Slugs or something. Takes the pressure off.
 
On swissgirl's suggestion--The Geoducks? :o)
 
The fighting Banana Slugs is the name for UC-Santa Clara, who this team beat on Thursday.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I think a Mo-town feel is appropriate.

"Osler and the Ethicals"
 
Having been a member or one of those teams, I feel the name should come from within. The team should be named after its unofficial mascot and constant spirit and guiding force. Plus, its ironic for a baptist school. My suggestion:

El Diablos
 
How 'bout the Baylor Bearitones? They could dress in sixties style suits and enter the courtroom to the soulfull sounds of Motown.
 
Though I must admit that "The Wizards of Osler" is way better than my idea.
 
I agree that the name needs to be organic coming from each particular team. That being said, the one constant on every team appears to be Gordon eating his weight in food over the course of the competition. So maybe Gordon and Los Gordos?

Regardless of the name, CONGRATS to this year's team.
 
RRL-
Thanks for the love! If I can ever come up with an appropriate undercover disguise, I'll catch you at Scruff's on a Wednesday night. Those blasted cell phones with cameras---busted me once on Swanburg's blog. Law students are worse than the papparazzi!
 
The Osler Fierce-Coifs

Describes their fearless leader
 
El Diablo,

Technology is not kind to those of us that are past the point where Scruffys is socially acceptable, but unable to resist its fine selection of domestic light beers and intoxicating discussion groups on topics as wide ranging as the rise and fall of objectivism. Trust me, I'm learning this lesson on a weekly (and sometimes nightly) basis. That being said, I'm available and can still be found there on most Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and even the occassional Saturday. What can I say, I just wanna live dangerously, cell-phones and partners' college aged kids be damned!!
 
Osler and the Razorettes.
 
We so had a team name!! And a sign!However, considering the third place result..... I like the suggestion of the "Ethicals."
 
Osler and the Harriettes (for old time TV fans).
 
"The Gun Brandishers"
 
"Objection....Sustained"
 
"Mock Trial; Schmock Trial"
 
"Ethics..its whats for dinner"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#