Thursday, March 13, 2008

 

Haiku Friday On The Road for Spring Break



Most of you have heard of Jack Kerouac. He went to Columbia on a football scholarship, started the Beat Generation of writers, and is remembered for On The Road, which college freshman still read. When I was very young and he was relatively old, Jack Kerouac and I both lived in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. I went to kindergarten; he hung around at the Rustic Cabins bar down on Kercheval. Our lives never really intersected in any way, until now.

Kerouac took haiku seriously. He, like other Beat Generation writers, loved poetry and especially the spare aesthetic of haiku. Kerouac studied Buddhism and even his other writing seemed to be affected. In reviewing his Dharma Bums in 1958, the Village Voice noted that "The sentences are shorter... almost as if he were writing a book of a thousand haikus...." Penguin has now published a book of what Kerouac called his "American haikus." As he explained it, the Japanese form of haiku, with strict adherence to beat counts, nature themes, and reference to season, was not suited to Western languages (most of what we write here is, in fact, closer to senryu than true haiku). He wanted to free haiku to simply be defined as three short lines which are rich in meaning. Here are a few of his that I really like:

Two cars passing
On the freeway
-- husband and wife

_____________________

Spring night
The neighbor hammering
In the new old house


So, let's go with that this week. No syllable counts. No suggested themes. Three lines. Perhaps you can start with something within your sight right now. Or cats. Or, if you don't like cats, dogs.

Comments:
It lies there in wait
Cannot be ignored
"Civil Procedure"
 
Sleeping in the sun
Tail wrapped around her nose
Green eyes glow.
 
Puffalump bunny
Soothes my soul
Soft, warm poly-fil
 
Puffalump bunny
Soothes my soul
$4300 per hour.
 
Sploded house has a
first floor, half of second floor.
Took eleven months.

See glass half full. Put
in coolstuff:laundry chute,shelves,
disco ball, meat hooks.

Sconces in dining
room, goat run in the back yard,
carpet on the walls.

Habib the Tile Guy's
gonna revolutionize
my bathroom, shower.

Spencer LOVES to build
with blocks. Made a huge zoo in
preschool. It took hours.

I love love love love
love my Bill and my Spencer.
Reptiles, Not so much.
 
not gonna lie
bunny ain't cheap
cough up the dough
 
Kerouac and Fox
two "Jacks" at Columbia
two "Jacks" who were lost
 
Brainstem tumor
My desperate friend flounders
And I cannot help
 
Cold blast of Spring
directional, biting
Close the fridge!
 
Walking the beach,
White sand between my toes,
And a cold frosty one.
 
wake up in spring
she is still there
cold frosty one
 
On The Road, Back and forth
Crossing the Country
What was the point, anyway?

Summer after sophomore year
Dad gave me the book - I was sad
Didn't make me feel better

On a scroll
Jack K wrote the book
He was not like me
 
I never could "get" the book
Truman Capote said about it:
"Its not writing. Its typing."

Maybe I was too young when I read it. My suitemate at boarding school was reading it. So I did too.

I prefer non fiction, but then,
I am not one of the great minds of the 20th century. That is why...

you are all lawyers, and I am here on a goat farm making little animals out of produce.
 
Sleepy Walleye, I know what you mean . . .

Why does fear
Make us say the wrong thing
To someone hurt?
 
Ode to Sleepy:

You seem kind.
I wish the best for you
and your friend.

Sometimes there is
nothing to say. It has all been said.
What they want most

Is for you to look at them
as if nothing were wrong.
To be listened to, and heard.

To be assured that you will
do your best to help the people
they will leave behind

who will have broken hearts.
Promise you'll do your best for them, though your heart will be

broken too. Also they need to laugh
mostly because maybe no one laughs
around them anymore.

Its not true
that you cannot help.
You probably already have.
 
Whatever happened
to the old five/seven/five?
This is not the same!
 
He said this week that
We should do as Kerouac
did - ignore format.
 
Got email from Dean
New faculty member
Will we get an introduction?

So excited, even alum
No degrees from Baylor
New blood really new!
 
We had no warning--
The storm took good and bad both
God's law has no teeth.

The sea understands
It takes some grit to make pearls
We never got that.

Hundred years ago:
This land was all orange groves
Today: foreclosed homes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#