Friday, March 28, 2008

 

Aggie-based Haiku Friday


I like Texas A & M. For years, I have noticed that many of our best BLS students come from there. A few years ago I went down and gave the Wiley Lecture there, and was really impressed with the school.

Of course, I'm not an Aggie myself, and though I admire the Aggie traditions and sense of identity, I get confused by some of those traditions. For example, they elect their cheerleaders, all of whom are male. Apparently, this is now fought out on Youtube videos. I can't figure out if the video below is genuine or some kind of parody, given the plethora of what appears to be interpretive dance involved. So, Aggies, what is going on here?

Anyways, it is haiku Friday, so I think that the haikus should be about Texas A & M or some other Texas school, if you choose. Here is mine:

Aggie Yell Leader!
Your dance is inspiring
Your camera, poor.

Now it is your turn to haiku. I will allow a little leeway from the traditional 5 syllable/7 syllable/5 syllable format this week, as a nod back to Jack Kerouac.

Comments:
Little/no sound editing with a crap-ton of annoying wind noise and shaky camerawork, that's all.

Oh, and a whooooole lot of cult ridiculousness, too.
 
Woe be unto you...our resident Aggies will be all too quick to inform you that they're called YELL leaders.
 
I'm not an Aggie . . . so I have no idea what's going on. But if they really do those motions as cheerleaders, I hope they're holding something in their hands, like pom-pons or something . . . otherwise a whole line of guys doing that wouldn't be too, uh, appealing!
 
Are we supposed to Haiku about this?

Buzz Cut College guy
Dancing shamelessly alone
Is this for Match.com?
 
Kerouac at A & M
He and Ginsburg howl
Aggies howl back
 
I have no idea
What that Aggie was doing,
but it looked bad.
 
Indoctrination
Begins at "fish camp." Or some
Call it "brainwashing."

Large groups gather in
Large stadiums and perform
Psuedo military...

Activities. I
Have seen this all before...in
Germany...get it??

A good mind is a
Terrible thing to waste. So,
Don't go to A&M.

Cult, cult cult, cult, cult.
The dead dogs don't care about
Football....cult, cult!!

Who needs females to
Cheer when the male students would
Rather have sheep....baahhhh!!
 
Heard it all before
Ag haters, UT grads, etc.
Just one word, y'all: "Whoop!"
 
A & M law school
Ranked last again this year
Whoop-s.
 
That Aggie guy is
trying out to be the guy
who parks the airplanes.

Not an easy job,
Its a calling. Need orange lights,
earmuffs, maybe vest.

What is an Aggie?
Maybe A & M Stands for
Airplanes & Moving Them
 
As a Longhorn, I refuse to bow to this dictate of Aggie haikus.

First trial this week
Got seven times medical
Grateful for Baylor.

No huge disasters
No directed verdict - just
Big sigh of relief.

Osler - thanks for my mock trial experience. It took away a FEW of the butterflies!
 
Congrats, JJS!
You traveled to far-off
Lands, and kicked ass.
 
Heckle all you want
Ags most helpful in job search
Yay for Aggies! Whoop!
 
I put on my robe
And wizard hat and wield my
Big, long Aggie Stick.
 
Fisher-Price made 'lumps
Of bears, but but not of collies.
The 'lumps have spoken!
 
Aggies very much
Help in finding a job if
You're a janitor.
 
Seriously now
Need to know...WHAT's an Aggie?
Some kind of fish? Duck?
 
I'm an A&M Grad and I find that video shameful. It definitely doesn't help our reputation. I can't even be put into a haiku mode knowing that video has made the rounds on the internet (saw it a couple days ago).
To explain the traditions (male yell leaders, hand motions, etc) would take days. Just go to wikipedia for all things true if you are curious. Suffice it to say, this is a good example of how not to get elected a yell leader.

Oh what the hell...

Aggie yell leader?
Fortunately, not you bud.
You lost election.
 
Hey...you edited!
First posts look WAY silly now
Thanks a yacht, Osler.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
We're bringin' nodbacks
Back; you other brothers don't
Know how to act { whip! }
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#