Tuesday, March 11, 2008

 

Work, Study, and the Presence of Joy


I think there is value in joy-- in that feeling of pure, unadulterated happiness that can overwhelm a person. It's not a conclusion, but an emotion, so it cannot be reached by reason. Usually it is connected to an experience, but not always. We may all have different triggers. It is absent when we most expect it (ie, the sullen bride), and sneaks up on us when we least think it will visit (ie, during Practice Court).

For Baylor students, it is spring break. They have been working hard, and many of them (especially the PC students), have no doubt planned to work through the break. Still, I hope that a little bit of joy will sneak in. Sometimes all it takes is to look in a different direction, listen to some music, speak to someone you don't know.

Let it happen!

Comments:
Thanks for this post, Osler.

My comrades and I are working diligently in the library or on the beach or both. I was, in fact, listening to music today, which brings a special joy to my life.

I don't regret working over the "break." I see it as an opportunity to take more mini-breaks while continuing a normal work regimen. It can be very restful.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#