Tuesday, December 07, 2010

 

The Last Day


Today is the last day of my my first class at St. Thomas. It's hard to describe the feeling I have about that-- it has been a wonderful time of transition and growth, and these students have been a big part of it. Those of you who have been my students in the past know that I try to do something to make first and last days special, but this is special without any effort.

In preparing for this last class, I dug up the seating chart from the very first class I taught at Baylor-- Crim. Prac. and Pro. in Fall, 2000. What struck me as I looked over that chart was how many of the students in that small class I remember, and still keep in touch with.

I just saw Tresse Golden a few months ago in Waco. She seemed so happy, and that made me happy. It was Tresse, in line at a coffee shop, who first told me about the plane hitting the World Trade Center.
Brad Bogan is a federal defender in San Antonio, and someone I have had the pleasure to see regularly.
Jim Dedman and I correspond often, and I recently wrote a little bit for his firm.
Emanuela Prister, large with child, was my host just this summer in Dallas as I spoke to a group there.
David Moore, of course, is someone I did not lose touch with, as our careers got more tangled up long after that class.
Darrel Spinks, who practices in San Saba and heads up the EMS, actually wrote to me during the class this morning.

There was something deeply moving about seeing that old seating chart, with the names written in the hand of these people I was lucky enough to teach-- Joe Garcia's clear hand, Kimmy Wright's careful script. Tomorrow is another first group, and I don't doubt I will remember them just as well, as they are just as memorable.

Life is good, if perhaps too fast.

Comments:
This brought tears...
 
If you haven't been through an Osler last day, expect to not know what to expect.

In our last PR class we read this case about a woman who brought suit for all these kids and got beaten down and won in the end. Osler had her come to the class. He didn't have her come up to the front and speak, though. She sat in the back and was quiet and then answered a question and it was clear it was her, and there was this moment of realization that we had been talking about her all that time with her in the room, which was quite a good lesson for PR.
 
What I'm curious about is that white suit in the picture. Is that from the opening of your dinosaur theme park using DNA harvested from mosquitos trapped in amber? Or were you auditioning for a part on Designing Women? Or is that from teaching the class about your secret blend of 11 herbs and spices? The world wants to know.
 
JT-

That's from the Last Lecture.
 
You love all of your students, of course. But some, for some reason, stick with you, their faces and names and even (in my case) the stories they worked on. I always wondered how Andy and Rachel Moore (who taught for more than 70 years between them at Baylor) knew so many people ... really KNEW ... so many people. Now I know. Those former student become a part of your DNA and you couldn't forget them if you tried. Bob
 
The Prof's secret blend has 13 spices.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#