Sunday, December 12, 2010

 

Sunday Reflection: Recipient of Grace


Yesterday, I did something stupid. There was an incredible storm coming, but I still drove back to Minneapolis from Madison, Wisconsin, some 5 hours to the east (in good conditions).

Because things had gone so well in Madison, I was in a wonderful mood. Some of the time, I turned off the stereo and sang, loudly, to no one and everyone.

As I headed north and west and the storm came to meet me, it came with a vengeance. There was nearly no visibility, and there was about a foot of powder on I-94 in many places. Cars and trucks were off the road everywhere. As I hit the storm, I passed a raft of emergency vehicles; a man was being loaded on a stretcher into an ambulance. A truck lay on its side in the ditch, the top peeled back like a sardine can. Cars sat, nose first, immobilized in snow.

I know that I should have stopped and waited out the storm, or better yet just stayed in Madison. But I kept going, following a faint track at 20 mph much of the way.

Getting home was grace; I did not deserve it, as I made the wrong decision. But still, I sang, and received grace even when wrong, and for that I am thankful and happy.

Comments:
I think you had meant to say, "But I kept going, following a faint track at 20 mph much of the way, all while deftly taking pictures of the road with my camera phone!"
 
Ok, Anon., maybe that was a second major mistake...
 
How are you enjoying all that snow? Are you tired of it yet? Have you purchased snow shoes yet?

Glad you made it home safely.
 
:)
 
Meanwhile, it Texas it was colder today - yesterday was 74, but today only got up to 63. It may come a light freeze tonight. My roses are blooming, the herbs are in fine shape, but the begonias have been a bit frost nipped - not enough to keep them from blossoming.

Ah, the joys of winter! We may even have a fire this evening if it gets cold enough. Haven't had to run the AC in several days.

Did my time in snow country - had sense enough to leave as soon as I could escape.

Lee
 
Have you ever tried the ice cream they serve at UW? It's delicious.
 
Yep, another post about snow....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#