Tuesday, March 15, 2011

 

iPad 2!


One sign that I am not in Waco anymore is that there are two Apple stores close to my house-- a dangerous temptation.

I went in to look at the new iPad 2, which hit the market last week with great fanfare. No wonder, too-- it is a beautiful and remarkable machine. It feels great in the hands, has wonderful graphics, and could entertain a person for hours. The best word for it is "elegant."

But, I didn't buy one.

In short, I realized, the iPad 2 is a beautiful, elegant machine that does not fit my use of the internet and computers. It is great for consuming things on the internet-- movies, facebook, the Razor, things like that.


However, I'm not so much of a consumer of internet content; I'm much more of a content provider. When I have a computer turned on, I am usually writing something-- an academic paper, a post for the Razor, or a short-form piece such as those on the Huffington Post. The iPad doesn't have a keyboard, and I find the on-screen keyboard hard to use. That elegant machine is optimized for taking in what had been created, not for creating. For my uses, the ideal machine is the MacBook Air.

So, someday, I'll get one of those...

Comments:
Pair it with a wireless apple keyboard and it's pretty great ;)
 
The problem is that I do a lot of my work with Word, and that isn't a good fit for the iPad...
 
So...as I am currently a consumer of the Razor, I should definitely get an iPad 2?

I'm glad we are on the same page!
 
CTL--

Exactly!
 
So, the Applebees in Waco doesn't sell Mac products?
 
I’ve been using our MacBook from home for doing Keynote presentations between worship services, so the church is getting an iPad 2 this year. It’s small, lightweight, and should be easy to lock up before dashing upstairs (or use from the pulpit???).

I was actually supposed to see one this afternoon at the Mall of America’s Apple Store. I didn't have a chance to do that, however, because they’ve sold out of them at the moment!
 
I really wanta KINDLE. I plan on getting one in a few months but am debating KINDLE V Nook.
 
Beware the siren call of Apple products:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
 
PS Look for a special cameo appearance by your best friend Clippy in the above-referenced link.
 
Macbook Pro 17 inch with the I7 chip is a winner! I would be hard put to function without mine. You are right about the IPad.

17 inch is large enough for a main machine on the desktop - can hook to a larger monitor if you need the split screen size.

Airbook, not so much - literally! lacks functionality for many things. A 13 inch Macbook is much better.

Lee
 
I recently traveled through Italy with a macbook air, iphone, and ipad. I downloaded the travel guides to the iphone and ipad. When on the streets and in the churches, the iphone was the most useful: small and has gps. When in the hotel room, I used the macair because of the keyboard and programs. When trapped on a bus or plane, the ipad was a great platform for books, videos, and games.
 
How come there are no naked ladies on the post today?? You create certain expectations Osler, you have to follow through on those expectations.
 
RRL--

Fixed it. That's a detail from a Bernini sculpture.
 
BOOM! SEXY TIME!

All you dorkus mcgorkus' can go play with your ipoodle9er's or whatever, I'm checking out some Bernini.
 
Why is the razor turning into some kind of statuary throwdown?

So, do you have any statues of Dee Dee? You need more Dee Dee.
 
They made a statute of Dee Dee Ramone?
 
RRL--

Of course there is a statue of Dee Dee Ramone, but I think this is a reference to Pickles the cat's friend Dee Dee (who probably owes you a visit on your private train).
 
But I am a very busy associate at a large Waco law firm.
 
I hear that you are also very conservative.
 
Anon 12:44 - that would be mac-n-cheese.
 
If the GPS on my iPad led me to Dee Dee Ramone's statue, I'd be pleased.
 
Until I saw the RRL@12:46p.m.-Osler@1:48p.m. exchange after reading the post, I seriously thought the random picture of the woman was supposed to be some sort of subtle comparison to the iPad 2 as hinted at by the "It feels great in the hands, has wonderful graphics, and could entertain a person for hours" description. I will get my mind out of the gutter now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#