Thursday, March 31, 2011

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: The Protests in Madison


Last weekend I was in Madison, Wisconsin with the excellent moot court team I have been coaching (Allison Ovenden and Eric Omhdahl), as they competed in the Evans Con Law competition.

The hotel for the competition was directly across the street from the State Capitol, so I got a birds-eye view of the protests going on there last Saturday. After soaking up the scene for a bit, I have an observation: They are all wrong. The protesters are wrong. The Democratic legislators who fled to Chicago were wrong. Scott Walker is wrong. And... all of it can be fixed with an election.

First, the protesters are wrong. Many of the signs seemed to claim that something about what Scott Walker was doing was "anti-democratic." Nothing could be further from the truth. The bare facts are that Republicans in Wisconsin swept an election. They won majorities in the state house, and the Governor's seat. Now they can pursue their objectives, and it should not be surprising that those objectives include bashing labor, giving tax breaks to corporations, and cutting social services. Those things are all part of the Republican agenda, and have been for years. That's not "anti-democratic" or some kind of scandal-- it's the direct result of how people in Wisconsin voted. This was chosen, not imposed.

Second, the Democratic legislators who fled the state to deny a quorum to the Republicans were wrong. Again, people... you lost an election! To take your ball and go home (or, I suppose, leave home) is truly anti-democratic.

Finally, Scott Walker is wrong. His odd focus on removing collective bargaining from government worker unions might be right or wrong, but it is not an immediate issue, given the concessions the unions offered. It's the wrong fight right now, when immediate budget issues need to be addressed. Take the concessions, shore up the budget, and move on to long-term structural changes later. When people choose odd fights, I often wonder where their true interests lie, and that is the case here.

Moreover, given what is going on in other states, it seems pretty clear that this attack on public unions is a national Republican goal. Part of that attack has been to portray teachers and other public employees (such as prosecutors) as overpaid. There is something deeply offensive about that, knowing the sacrifices that prosecutors and teachers make. The truth is this: The current economic crisis was caused by a mortgage bubble created by hedge fund traders and other extremely rich people. They profited by taking huge risks, then many got bailed out with tax money. Those people and institutions have largely come out of the crisis unscathed. If you want to look at irresponsible, greedy fat-cats who act contrary to the public interest, you need look no further than them; yet somehow there are politicians such as Scott Walker who choose to complain instead about second-grade teachers as the real culprits. Those attacks are lacking in principle, proportion, and respect for working people. I do think there will be a price for that disrespect-- a price paid at the polls.

Which is how it is supposed to work, everyone. I love that about this country.

Comments:
But do you know what is oh-so-right in Madison? The ice cream they serve on the UW campus - assuming delicious government-funded dairy products weren't cut from the budget too...
 
Oh yeah. Had some of that....
 
Good man. I once accepted the invitation to apply for a research fellowship at UW (and got the fellowship!), based not on the money or resume-building I would receive, but based on the fact that the professor said we could meet over ice cream at the student union. It's important to learn life skills like setting priorities in college. (And in law school, as you'll ascertain from my Cheese Shop house dressing obsession.) Unlike the typical UW-Madison student, I never cottoned to beer or pot (or cigarettes as a William & Mary law student), but the food? Oh yes, the food.
 
That chocolate chip with a little bit of caramel? Heaven.
 
I would like to note that while Madison is getting all the press the Dems in Indiana heard that the Wisconsons enjoyed Illinois so much they are also hanging out there for similar reasons. Perhaps they are just hoping they can slow the battering ram down so it doesn't do so much perceived damage.

In Florida we have a Governor Rick Scott (of HCA scandal) and Rep. legislature and they are steam rolling changes through with ZERO thought on future impact to residents.

In NC the Wake County Schools are trying to roll back desegretation (but not using that term) and they are losing full accredidation. The response of the Rep. held legislature is to increase the number of allowable charter schools. I'll be interested to see if the Dem. Governor Perdue signs this nonsense.

Please send some of that ice cream south!
 
Greed and the abuse of power and no social solidarity.
 
Mark, I think you make several valid points, but I would like to suggest a few things. No question but that the WI Democrats lost in 2010, but did the Republicans win because of what they offer(ed), or because they had deeper pockets, via stealth financing? I say mostly the latter.

And along the same lines, is their agenda ideological (i.e., are they "true believers"), or are they just doing the bidding of their stealth financiers? I think both, to an extent, but mostly the latter.

I think, and fear, that the Citizens United decision will mark a huge turning point in our country, a (the?) moment when we changed from a republic to a plutocracy.
 
I also think that the democratic/anti-democratic aspects of what's been going on in Wisconsin serve mostly as a diversion, garnering lots of headlines and generating a lot of heat but little light.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the influence of all of this corporate financing... I realize I shouldn't call it "stealth" financing, after Citizens United.

It seems to me that voters salivate whenever a politician mentions "cutting taxes" in his or her rhetoric. My father, as conservative as they come, neither bought the "supply side" canard, nor understood those who did. "Cutting taxes will never balance anything," he used to say.

So I fear that our short-term focus on lower taxes, combined with increasing corporate influence on policy, means that we are in for a very, very rough period.
 
I think you're all losing sight of what's really important here. And that's the ice cream. It has the highest legal amount of butterfat to be called ice cream in Wisconsin - anything higher and it would have to be labeled custard. Not that there's anything wrong with custard, mind you. No, I did not attend the ag school. I just really like ice cream.

Reading this blog is my own cruel and unusual self-punishment when I'm so pregnant I can't leave the 20-mile radius of the hospital.
 
"...did the Republicans win because of what they offer(ed), or because they had deeper pockets, via stealth financing?"

This is why I love Political Mayhem Thursday. Sometimes I forget about the paranoia of the left, but you guys are always there to remind me in gutbusting fashion.

Yes, when liberals win, it is because America has finally seen the light and is ready for a new generation of sweeping progressive change. When conservatives win, it is because America is a bunch of dopes suckered by the panopticon, or the military industrial complex, but mostly a bunch of rich guys dressed like Colonel Sanders smoking cigars in the Yale club and spending "stealth" money on Wisconsin legislature races. Huzzah for us!

As Pauline Kael said, "I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don't know. They're outside my ken. But sometimes when I'm in a theater I can feel them."

The fact is states are broke. And they are broke for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that government benefits are out of control. Now, there is an obvious hypocrisy to this, which is that some of the biggest pensions and the most bloated retirement packages are for the legislators themselves, and judges. I support eliminating public unions (for lots of reasons, though mostly because someone is providing me stealth financing). But I also support drastic reductions in public employee pensions across the board, and especially for those at the top (legislators, judges, etc.).

I also disagree with you Osler about one point which relates to Scott Walker refusing to accept the concessions of the unions. Lets assume for a moment that he is a true believe, and honestly thinks that collective bargaining for public employees is a bad thing. Accepting the half measure means these unions continue on, and he has missed an opportunity to effect what he considers to be important and meaningful change. I wish there were more politicians that avoided bargaining over half-measures in favor of championing an actual ideology. Pragmatism is for sissies. And frankly, the more idelogues the less gets done, which is all I really want anyways.

I must excuse myself now, my afternoon appointment to smoke cigars and plot the takeover of some small third world country is starting now, and I need time to properly arrange my top hate and suspenders so I don't embarass myself in front of my fellow fat cats. Good day sirs.
 
Here's what playwright Tony Kushner said in his commencement address at Vassar in 2002, on elections, democracy and the consequences of voting (or not):

"You are the citizen of a flawed but actual democracy....When you don't act, you act. When you don't vote, you vote. When you accept the loony logic of some on the left that there is no political value in supporting the lesser of two evils, you open the door to the greater evil. That's what happens when you despair, you open the door to evil, and evil is happy to enter, sit down, (etc)..."

I wonder how many people in that crowd in Madison didn't vote, didn't write a check or knock on a door or make a phone call in support of a candidate who shared their values.
 
Hey-- leave the Yale Club out of this!
 
Bravo, RRL!

You make me laugh (and I mean that as a supreme compliment).

Well done.

Mark: I don't think I have ever mentioned this, but I have always wanted to get into the Yale Club and look around (smoke cigars and plot the return of the plutocracy). Are you allowed to bring guests? FYI: There is a serious self-invitation embedded in this flip remark.
 
I have voted in every election that I could, meaning since 1980. I have voted for Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and Libertarians. I will continue to vote, at every possible opportunity, for the candidates I believe are the best ones for the offices for which they are running.

But I really do believe that my vote has largely been overwhelmed by corporate money. And I find that really sad.
 
S and Kushner are right -- its those who show up who make a difference. I was active in Virginia Republican politics for 25 years. The people who SHOWED UP set the agenda. And by and large the majority of those who showed up were economically and socially conservative true believers. Some of their beliefs scared me quite frankly. But you have to hand it to them for being willing to show up for monthly meetings in some poorly lit community hall, going to campaign meetings in cramped, poorly equipped offices in bad neighborhoods making phone call after phone call, addressing envelopes, eating cold pizza and warm soda, knocking on doors, waving signs in crappy weather and more. Where I live the Democrats usually win... and they were doing the same damn thing we were ... there are just more of them.

Yes, money can sway national elections. But commitment from volunteers and activists can't be bought.

Voting is only a small part of the political process. Those that participate are setting the policies of both parties... and the people that show up are generally pretty committed idealogues.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#