Saturday, May 14, 2011

 

Graduation and a Man on a Bike



About six blocks away from here (two blocks up a hill, then through the park, over Minnehaha Creek, and up a few more) is the Edina Theater, an old movie palace that now shows art-house films, four at a time, quite successfully.

Last night I went up there to see "Bill Cunningham's New York," which is a documentary about the 81-year-old fashion photographer for the New York Times. It is a great film, detailing Cunningham's life and remarkable eye. He lives a spartan life, goes to church every week, and rides around the city on his bike to create remarkable photo montages of what people at parties and on the street are wearing.

Like all good movies, it was as much about a place as anything else. It was a part of New York I connect with, that I understand. When I am here, I am a teacher; when I am in DC, I am a lawyer; but when I am in New York I am a writer who sees the world through different, gentler eyes.

My first students here graduate today. In a few hours, I will shake their hands, hug them, put the hood over their shoulders, take pictures. I will love every minute of it, then fly off to Texas thinking about them. As much as anyone, these are the people who have shown me the best of Minnesota.

What I hope for them is that they someday have a day like Bill Cunningham's, where they love their work, where money becomes irrelevant, and when things go well they laugh unashamedly at the bare, true fact that beauty is all around us.




Comments:
Gorgeous writing.I like it that you are so in love with your profession and those students. Will you still be blogging? Be careful driving that car down to Texas.Miata's always been my favorite car. Tell me it isn't red,so that covetousness does not take over completely. Thank you for introducing tme to Susan's blog. I can't start my day without reading her either. Idi s Bogom.
 
I ALWAYS look at his photos in the NY Times Sunday section. I have often wondered if the people he photographs know who he is or if it is a somewhat anonymous / voyeurist act?

Safe travels!
 
In New York voyeurism happens naturally. You step out onto the sidewalk and you will always come across some kind of character. You walk on a quiet street and you will always have a peek though a window into some kind of living. You come into a crowd and you will always hear some kind of story. New York is a perpetual sequence of close-ups, little vignettes of life...must be why it brings out the writer in you.
Anyway, happy trip to Texas!
 
Yes Marta - that is correct. I spent a good amount of time living in Manahttan. That aspect made living there fun at times.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#