Friday, May 20, 2011

 

Haiku Friday: Memorials


In the picture, I am at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial with Bud Welch. He is pointing to the chair which bears the name of his daughter, Julie.

Julie was a translator at the social security office who would have lived but for the fact that she was called to front of the office to help a man, there with his pastor, who did not speak English. She walked to the front, greeted them, and then was killed in an instant.

The memorial in Oklahoma City is powerful and fitting. There is a field full of empty chairs, larger ones for adults, smaller ones for children. Some memorials fit, like this one... and some do not. To me, there are few things sadder than going to a funeral where the eulogy is given by a minister who did not know the person very well, if at all.

Let's haiku about memorials, of any kind-- a funeral, a grave, or a monument like this one.

Here is mine:

Lines of empty chairs
Unevenly spaced, but
The little ones, so sad.

Now it is your turn...

Comments:
Matthew Whaley, nine,
buried at Bruton Parish,
1705.

Matthew Whaley School,
a gift from Rockefeller,
1929.
 
New York City, hey!
Will you get your act together?
The dead still cry out.
 
I expected a
Better send-off for the dog.
But: "Goodbye, Cody."
 
November cold rain
Frank, Anna, Marie and now Ben
McNamara/Lewis

No funeral, please.
Family gathered, words spoken
Numb brother breaks down

Floodgates burst open
Twenty six years of suppressed
grief exposed, laid bare.
 
In grave midst wheat field
Buried near her pinochle partner
Farm wife whispers "adieu."



Marble pretty girl
Six years old forever
All dressed up,nowhere to go.
 
Every year I go back
To the place where she rests
I touch the cold cross and whisper
I'm here, can you hear me?
She never replies
But I hear her.
 
Rabbie,whence brilliance?
Meagre fed,few books,plow bound,
Roses and poems pen-sprung

I sit in stone tent
Alone in Ayr,and wish you
Were mine,saint and sinner.
 
There is a stillness
I watch your soul slip away
And I say good-bye.

For now.
 
All the hymns you loved
I sang to you all night long
Until you found peace.
 
Ten-year-old girl reads
"Waterbugs and Dragonflies,"
Captivates funeral.
 
When I am but gone
Drink wine, tell tales - but no tears
Cry for lives less lived.
 
Not sure how I spoke,
but I needed to tell them:
We'll see you again.
 
18,000 men,
Confederates, many teens,
in Hollywood's graves.

[Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia]
 
A little white stone
No name, in the old section
Somebody's baby.
 
Trudging through the rain
Even on a sunny day
Korean "Conflict"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#