Tuesday, May 03, 2011

 

Minnesota Tuesday



You know how sometimes I give you the option to click on a photo and enlarge it? Well, no option today-- I insist that you click on that photo and enlarge it! Take a look at that... the Spring-swollen Minnehaha Creek, the green of the grass, the trees about to explode with life and flowers and leaves.

That's two blocks from my house. I walk through that every time I walk into town to the grocery store, or the wine bar, or a restaurant or the bakery. It is different every time, too, a revelation.

On Sunday, I went by that place, gratefully, to go up to St. Stephens, to attend church and then to speak with Susan Stabile about creeds. It was better than last time-- I learned more, we challenged each other more, there were brilliant questions-- and I left elated. At one point we were racing along, trading ideas and challenges, and people looked like they were watching overtime in a great game... and that is as good as it gets.

I noted that the Apostles Creed does not contain the word "love" once; Susan volleyed that certainly it describes the love of God for man by sended his son to live amongst us; I countered that this ignores the other axis of love Jesus directs us to, towards one another; and then Neil Alan Willard jumped in to point out that the surrounding liturgy does just that. That was just a few minutes of the conversation. (there is a great description of part of this on Susan's blog).

Life is good. The buds are out. Life springs forth. God does provide.

Comments:
I loved Neil's comment about context - and how the creed is introduced in the liturgy. That was one of the things Dave remarked on also as we were driving home. Something I want to think about some more.
 
"The Chief" (Neil)is one of my favorite human beings,but...if,indeed the liturgy surrounding the creed speaks to the love that God's story embodies,why do we need to recite dry dust? Can't we just keep it in some golden tome,and refer to it if we need to? When I recite the creed,in order for it to have meaning,I have to taste each important word by modulation and thinking about it,and then I am slower to recite than anyone else and causing people to stumble. It would be good if everyone wrote their own creed,what they believe and why they believe it and what the words mean to them,why it causes them to love.A sort of C.S.Lewis type of creed. Episcopalians are historically weak on what the Bible actually says. When the Psalm is sung,usually by Clark,and then we sing the response,the slow revelation of the words speak to me,and I am able to meditate on them and feel the love inherent. For me,this is an effective "creed." One thing that does "fill me," is the sound of the voices of people I love reciting with me,the closeness,the care for one another that echoes the love of God, that binds us.
 
Hi Renee,
I think if people spent time reflecting on the meaning of the lines of the creed, then when they recite them at mass, the words would be more meaningful. I don't think that reflection can go on during the mass itself, but I do agree if there is not time spent reflecting on the lines, then it is like reciting dry dust.
The same can be said for any prayer or ritual - we can give it real meaning or we can go through the motions.
I'll be giving a "retreat in daily living" at UST Law School (and probably also at St. Hubert's) in the fall that focuses on the creed. You are welcome to join us at either venue.
 
That sounds good,Susan. I would like to come.Thank you. Perhaps,if during the recitation of the creed we intentionally paused for two beats between phrases,it would allow for meditation during the creed,allow time for the words to sink in. I doubt if anyone,except you and Mark,thinks about the creed once it is said. Perhaps an admonition of sorts to the folk assembled before the creed might be in order.

@Mark: Are the gorgeous photographs of the Creek your photographs? If so,if this lawyer gig doesn't work out for you,perhaps you could take pictures all day long. The photographs are painterly,and cause some introspection in and of themselves. Thank you for them.
 
Actually, every word is about love.
 
I like Renee's pause suggestion. I was once in a parish where the priest led the pace of the creed at breakneck speed. Drove me nuts.
 
It's funny how nature has a way of changing each and everyday and showing us its beauty.
 
I'm with Scott. They way I was taught is that the Creeds explain God's Love for us, just as hymns, psalms and other forms of service do.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#