Monday, May 30, 2011

 

Spring Wedding



On Saturday of this long weekend, I headed over to Stillwater, a beautiful river town about 45 minutes west of Edina. People had been recommending I go there for months, but I had been busy. There was a great reason to make the trip on this day, though: Two of my favorite Baylor students were getting married to one another (following the lead last year of Jessica and Cody Stafford). This time around, it was Katie Klein and Nick Sarokhanian. Katie lived in Stillwater before leaving for college, so the ceremony came to me from Texas.


It was the perfect time in a river town-- the rains had brought up the water, but not to a flood, and the water rushed by. Two big paddlewheelers sat ready at the shore, and the town was full of people. It rained for a bit (which is good luck, right?) but then the sun came out for the evening and that warm spring light that is only enhanced by the wet ground. Peter Pope (pictured here) and Will King thought I had left, but I had only stepped out for a moment, to see that light.

It wasn't so long ago that I was at Nick's graduation, so I was at the second great ceremony for him in a year. I loved every bit of it-- and there was a lot to remember. They seem to have recruited every young child in the surrounding counties and put them in the wedding, whole waves of them coming down the aisle, staring, talking, smiling boldly, waving the hems of white dresses, and wandering every which way. It was perfect. When it was time for the vows, I couldn't help thinking "courtroom voice!", but I needn't have worried-- they were bold, too.

There is a blessing in that spring light, in rain and rivers and children and boldness; I always love the chance to gather it all in with those I am proud of.

Comments:
I can't believe that it's been almost a year since we got married. I also love that in MN (and NY) a late May/early June wedding is a spring wedding, whereas in Houston it would absolutely qualify as a summer wedding, and would be miserable if it was held outside.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#