Saturday, August 09, 2014

 

Amy Dawson

Yesterday, I had lunch with Amy Dawson,  who is running for judge here in Hennepin County.   Ron Rapoport, one of my favorite profs ever, had suggested that we get together.

It was fascinating.  Amy has a practice devoted to legal issues involving autism, a speciality that is both needed and challenging.  It takes her (and the other people in her firm) across the whole range of legal specialties, from criminal law to contracts.  It made me miss that kind of legal work, though I do get some taste of it still through my work on commutations.

She will make an excellent judge, of course-- I can see why she wants the job and why she would be good at it.  At times I got the sense that people became judges because they had become bored with their practice, but the opposite seems to be true with Amy; she is totally engaged in her work and obviously relishes it, but wants a different role within the system.

Plus… we ate outside.  It was 70 degrees, the skies were clear, and the Mississippi River rolled by as we ate.  Ah, Minneapolis!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#