Friday, August 29, 2014

 

Haiku Friday: School Supplies!


We started classes this week at St. Thomas, and it looks like I've got two great groups of students in my classes.  I'm excited to be teaching again!

Of course, this time of year is all about school supplies-- whatever that may be for you (judging by the photo above, at the University of Minnesota it is a giant tank of gasified something).  So let's haiku about that this week!

I can go first:

Brand new protractor;
But what does it do, really?
Never learned that.

Now it is your turn!  Your haiku can be about anything related to the start of school, really, so long as you more or less put five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third...


Comments:
New jeans are a must
Who says school supplies come in
A box or plastic?
 
Everything is new!
But within two weeks, I have
Doodled on it all :(
 
Trapper Keeper. All
the cool kids had one. Not cool,
but I'm faking it.
 
Four clean new notebooks.
I love the smell: fresh paper.
Spiral bound heaven.
 
Folders with pockets
Made me feel so organized
I could rule the world!


 
Number two pencil
Chunks of wood in Big Chief Pad
First day of school bliss!
Bob
 
Pearl pink erasers
Un-chewed number 2 pencils
Crayola Crayons
 
My new plaid lunch box,
Red, tin, very cool, hipster,
Got an A in lunch.
 
Red fountain pen filled
Ebonyinkelegant=
Pubescent Austen.
 
My mod green,purple
Stripedschooldress bought naughty-
New school subject: Lust

Mom gave me $100
For school clothes.I SPENT IT ALL!
She had hoped for change.

In my defense,It did
Help me think deep thoughts about
The charms of young men.
 
Eau de Graphite,hue
Goldenrod,tall like Foshay
Pith of wit,squalor

Write furiously
Write desperately,write with
Luscious abandon.
 
I went to high school,
Without my lunch. Hallelujah
for Potter's Drug Store.

Where succulent tuna
Salad lived with barbeque
Potato chips and

Pickles and icy
Coca Cola in shapely
Green glasses behind

The lunch counter and
Its white formica glory.
The round red stools like

Swiveling contraband
Mushrooms on slender steel
Stems,gateway to Flirt.

Lunch is not,so they
Say the most important meal.
But the lore of it

Lingers like some legend
More than any algebraic
Theorem or chart.
 
64 colors
Oh the future opens, a
Portal on rainbow.
 
My mother once did
Confess to me: she ate glue
Habitually.

She and her best friend,
Doris Ann. Teacher did not chide
Them for this.But for

Speaking Swiss at School,
Which was what they spoke at home.
Mother tongue bad. Eat glue!
 
Aisles of brand new things
New beginnings and fresh starts
And a big price tag
 
David Scorup was
Caused me to succeed. He was
My rival,bete noir

Achille ' s heel.He
Goaded me to angry best.
Finessed my educate

More than any school
Supply. We almost won a
Twist contest.Damn him.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#