Thursday, August 28, 2014

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: Faith and Ferguson

The Huffington Post is running a piece I based on a blog post from a few weeks ago, titled Faith for the In-Between Times.

Here is how it starts:

In Minnesota, this is an in-between time. Summer is over, the pool is closed, but it isn't quite fall yet. We know what was, and what is coming. There is something awkward about it, a sense of displacement.

We aren't comfortable with such empty, undefined spaces. This kind of discomfort is playing out right now in the discussion over events in Ferguson, Missouri, where 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot by a police officer. We are in this space between the tragedy of the killing and the announcement of an indictment (or failure of an indictment). As Ron Fournier pointed out in a great National Journal piece, there are some things we know (that the police are militarized, and that Brown was shot six times) but a lot that we don't know. In that in-between space we are deluged with conflicting reports and passions. We don't yet have a complete or authoritative report or picture of events, just a space that we have filled up with theories and reaction. It can be a toxic place.

You can read the rest here.


Comments:
If the space “in-between’ is inhabited by questions that beg to be asked or by Al Sharpton that begs to have the word despicable hypocrite explained to him, then how can one keep quiet? Oh, how I wish I could heed Jesus and keep quiet before I open my mouth to say something that bites.
 
This is so good! I just decided (and maybe your post had something to do with it) to take September as a month of quiet on my blog. I just turned in my book for edits, and October is when work gets real busy through the end of the year. It's now or never. I don't want it to be never.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#