Sunday, August 10, 2014

 

Sunday Reflection: Mary Don't You Weep



Yesterday, I went to see the new James Brown film, and it was excellent.  There is some history there, including the racial history of America in the middle of the 20th century, that was hard to revisit (but relentlessly true).

One thing the movie did was show the rootedness of Brown's music in gospel, a music that pervaded the place where he was raised.  The song featured above, Mary Don't You Weep, plays a key role in the story, and recurs throughout the film.  It's a song some people might know as one that Bruce Springsteen sometimes performs in concert.  It's a great song.

Which, as usual, brings me back to Bob Darden, who has done so much to save this form of music-- it's very historical existence-- and who has taught me what little I know about it.

Music can stir the soul, but I find that it only happens when I am open to it, when I let myself hear it and move to it.  There are times in my life when I have shut it out, let it fade to the background behind politics and sports and some guy on the radio talking about fuel economy.  It takes effort to do that-- and like water flowing around a stone or the Holy Spirit filling a room, it always comes back in.

Where does that urge come from, to shut out music? I suspect it is about control, since music takes us places (and brings back memories) that may not be of our choosing.  And I am at my best when I let that guard down, and listen.

Comments:
Back in the day when public schools weren't restricted from playing "religious" music, my 5th grade teacher use to sing "Mary Don't You Weep" while he played his ukulele. Being a Mary, I had a special connection to that song. Thank you for this memory.
 
Love it! By the way, Bob is hosting a symposium on black sacred music at Baylor (in the new McLane Stadium, just in case you care about that sort of thing) on October 23-25. baylor.edu/pruit.
 
Great work as always, Mark. "Mary Don't You Weep" is one of those wonderful spirituals in the "eternal now," where Old and New Testaments come together. Like "Wade in the Water," it is impossible to perform badly -- if you sing it with love. Thanks for sharing the great Swans' version!

 
Thanks for the shout-out, Megan. The Friday night headliner is Bernice Johnson Reagon, one of the heroes of the civil rights movement, a noted author, and one of the most powerful, expressive singers of our lifetime. And yes, she'll be singing freedom songs and spirituals. Y'all come -- it's free!
Bob
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#