Friday, September 05, 2014

 

Haiku Friday: Fall is Here!

Well, maybe fall isn't totally here yet.  The high tomorrow in Minnesota will be 64-- cool, but not autumn cool yet.  But… classes have started.  Football is being played.  The rhythm of life has begun to shift, and the days are getting shorter.

I love the change of seasons, and that is one reason I love Minnesota:  Summer is hot, winter is cold, spring is a sweet respite, and fall is everything it should be-- red and yellow and sweaters and new books for school.

Let's haiku about that, even if it is not quite there yet where you are.  I think fall is the most sensuous of the seasons, and there is a lot you can do with it!

I will go first:

That first red. green leaf
Found on the sidewalk, at peace
That one, I treasure.

Now, you go!  Make the first line five syllables, the second line seven syllables, and five for the third.  It can be about football, school, whatever!

Comments:
At first hint of fall
Thoughts turn to soup on the stove
Stirring liquid love
 
Trading green for red:
New paycheck, new loyalty ...
diff'rent conference!
 
I can't help myself
I cannot look away now
Must watch-- go Baylor!
 
Sixty four! Oh please!
The high here is like ninety!
Not fall cold?! Puh-shaw!
 
Waiting for financial aid
Need to buy my books
September is here again
 
At the store this week
A teenage girl and her mom
Seek… homecoming dress.
 
I learned in the fall
That I would have to give up
Debating. The lips

Of boys meant more than
What they said: a tallblonde with
Pock-marked skin taught me

To kiss eloquently
Thence I decided to focus on
Oral Interpretation


 
That magic scent… it's
Wood smoke, not gas grills and steaks
Once was burning leaves.
 
Sparkling diamonds,
Shimmer on the green grass,
Frosty fall morning.
 
Can you tell the Medievalist is from Minnesota? Oh, yes you can!
 
Breath spooks the air
Hovering like ghosts about
My mouth. I pull my

Wrap tighter to keep
Bluster captive till bitter
End. Hot tea holds my hand.

We laugh at death in
Costumes so he won't recognize
Us. Make him into

Pumpkin shame of clown.
Still when it is dark,he deigns
Boo us scared silly.
 
Listen Osler--Geoff sucks


Grateful for leaves when
Geoff chased me out the back door
Had "September Morn" on.


It was 3 a.m.
At his folks' house,damn him!
They are light sleepers.
 
I get frisky in fall
Three a.m. and orange moon
I reach for Sal: snore!

I grab more of her
She wakes and pillow hits me
Calls for ice water...

She runs out door to
Escape. I cover her with
Dried leaves. "Oh Hi,Mom!"

 
It is in-between.
Light darkens, green dries, all hues
Go so bright to die.

Morning tries to fade
Even me. I hold life close
Borrow fire to last.
 
She laments the
State of her garden."Everything's
Dying ," she says. Save

One yellow rose, the
Billowing hydrangeas. He
Gave her the rose.Now

Himself or what's left
Of him ashes in a bronze
Jar to spread in Eire,

Where he never went
In life. O Danny boy the pipes
Are calling.Calling. Home.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#