Tuesday, June 16, 2015

 

Writing spaces

There have been times in my life where I have fantasized about having a certain car. Fortunately, that often involved reasonably-priced cars. For example, for a while I really was in love with the Mazda3. So much, that I indulged myself and bought one (and I LOVED it).

At the moment, the material possession I will admit a longing for is a writing shed. If you hadn't guessed, that is a shed where you go write stuff. Part of this is coming from my current predicament where I am finishing a book and find myself itinerant rather than rooted, as I seek out quiet, calm spaces. 

And, yeah, a writing shed is a thing. Here, for example, is George Bernard Shaw's:


And here is Virginia Woolf's (which I love):


What would your shed be like?



Comments:
You could get a portable one that could be used for ice fishing in the winter
 
My shed would have lots of windows and a metal roof and be on the fringe of a beautiful garden. The exterior of the shed would be surrounded by hydrangeas and peonies. A little larger than Virginia Wolf's shed, but not so different.
 
I am with IP Law Guy … a tasteful, clapboard, multi-use writing/ice-fishing Leinie lodge with a hole in the floor (think of the year round possibilities), a beer cooler, and a satellite dish for the NHL Network … would be ideal.
 
I often fantasize about a "writing shed" on the top floor of the Alico building, and my hours would be 8-5 M-F, and my job would be to just read, think, and write about stuff.
 
Farmer, except for the Alico Building part, I'm hoping to get a sabbatical that is exactly like that.
 
I think David McCullough has one.

No sheds for me, though.
 
I would not care one bit what my shed looked like as long as it was somewhere on the Hudson River Valley, one train ride away from New York City.
 
Hey, Mark. That sounds awesome. Fingers crossed on you getting your wish.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#