Sunday, August 30, 2015

 

Sunday Reflection: The close of summer


One of the things I really love about Minnesota is the sharp edges to the season-- when winter has begun, you know it, and when fall is in full force, you can't miss the signs.  

This is the time that summer ends. I've had a great summer, but I am ready to jump through that door before it slams shut; I want to wear a sweater and buy pumpkins and see the leaves.  It makes me happy in a way that doesn't make sense, really.  

Perhaps we have that instinct within us. As a newer Episcopalian, I am becoming more aware of the liturgical seasons,which shape the actions of the church. I like that rhythm and flow.  I t doesn't match up completely with the liturgical season of my own heart, though, which are bent by a strong pagan-like impulse to celebrate the harvest, the big moon, or the longest day.  

Fall has always been the most powerful and deepest of seasons to me.  Now it is nearly here.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#