Tuesday, October 06, 2015

 

Words and Pictures


Over the past few years, my dad has been cataloguing the goings-on in the Detroit jazz scene in words and pictures. The pictures, we all could have expected-- he has long excelled at creating beautiful and  evocative images.

Now, though, maybe for the first time in his life, he has discovered the discipline of writing regularly for an audience.  It's kinda great.

Last week, he wrote about jazz and laughter and Yogi Berra.  I'm not sure where he got it, but he included a great listing of Yogi's greatest sayings:


“It ain’t over till it’s over.”
“It’s deja vu all over again.”
“I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4.”
“You can observe a lot by watching.”
“The future ain’t what it used to be.”
“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.”
“It gets late early out here.”
“Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.”
“Pair up in threes.”
“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”
“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”
“He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”
“I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.”
“It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.”
“I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.”
“Take it with a grin of salt.”
“The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”
“You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
and “EVEN NAPOLEON HAD HIS WATERGATE”

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#